Tuesday, June 4, 2013

Oh, the Places You'll Go!

It's official!  I have turned in my resignation and it's safe to post this news on my blog.  In about three weeks I will be retired from teaching.  It's a big step to retire and especially difficult since I have the perfect "work-at-home" online teaching position.  In spite of being able to work in comfy sweats and skip wearing make-up, I wanted more time to spend with my family, and to, as Mrs. Dilly-Dally would say, do what you love, do dilly-dally.

Janome Memory Craft 6600

To celebrate my retirement, I felt that a new endeavour was needed.  I wanted to try  some free-motion quilting.  That led to the purchase of a new "retirement" machine - a Janome Memory Craft 6600.  Anyone out there in blogland own one of these?   Of course I don't know how to use all the buttons yet, but I'm taking a class later this month.  Fun, fun!
The little mug rug is my second attempt at free motion quilting.  I've been practising, but have a long way to go yet.  This 6" Ohio Star Block is from a free pattern for Random Ohio Stars on Bonnie Hunter's Quiltville Blog.  I added some borders to make it mug and cookie size.  It's for a young friend in our swim class, Beth, who has been  doing a long-term intern-ship at Children's Hospital.  She lives in West Virginia, so will be leaving our class in about a month.  The Ohio Star is to remind her that she has friends in Ohio and the wavy quilting represents the choppy water (swim aerobics)  We make lots of waves!
If you look real close at the pink material in the star, it looks like water droplets.   The back has wavy pink, yellow and blue lines.

New Beginnings:

At the end of each school year, I always read Dr. Seuss's book of Oh, the Places You'll Go to my students.  This year as I read it to the kids for the last time, it took on a new meaning for me, and I'm looking forward to my retirement with a sense of hope and adventure.
"You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose. You're on your own. And you know what you know. And YOU are the one who'll decide where to go...” 
― Dr. SeussOh, the Places You'll Go!


7 comments:

  1. I am happy you are going to retire to spend more time dillydallying! It is quite fun. I hope to see more of you too! I really like your new machine and I know you will become very good at machine quilting. It just takes practice. The Ohio Star is one of my favorite blocks and it will be a wonderful memory for Beth. You are so kind. Enjoy the last few days of school......Just wait to see all the places you will go!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One of the places I'll go is to Plainfield, as often as possible.

      Delete
  2. I am just thrilled for you! Congratulations! Guess what? My "Her Majesty" is a Janome 6600! I love her, am sure you will too! Getting that machine...what a wonderful way to celebrate your new lifestyle! Look forward to all the treasures you'll create. Think of all the places you've been ... a career with many great memories ... an now all the places you'll go! So happy for you! Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the hugs! I'm very excited! What a coincidence that we have "sister" machines. I'm looking forward to taking the class to learn more about it.

      Delete
  3. Congratulations on your retirement. Dilly dallying is fun!! I know you will be happy with your decision.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this Dr. Seuss book too and have given it to several grads. I taught K and grade one. I never officially retired but when our Torquay School closed, that was the end of teaching or subbing for me. I have lots of hobbies to keep me busy and enjoy spending time with my four children and eight grandchildren. Spring is my favorite time of year so I'm spending time in the yard cutting grass and working in the garden. It's so peaceful on the farm!
    Enjoy your retirement years!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have the same machine and love it! DH bought it for me for our 50th anniversary last year and this year besides many smaller quilts, I have quilted two king size quilts on it. It is a great machine and I know you will love it too!

    ReplyDelete