Wednesday, August 8, 2012

Rural Thimble Quilting Retreat

 I asked my sister what she thought it was like to spend a couple of days in an Amish retreat house and she answered, “No running water.”  I had laugh because nothing could have been further from the truth.  Not only was there running water, but we had every modern convenience possible along with a spacious “well-lit” room for quilting and gabbing – my favorite past times.  A big thanks to Miss Carol of Sweet Peas and Possum Quilting Blog for making this little get-away retreat possible.
Charm, Ohio . . . isn't that a quaint name?  We, my QB (Quilting Buddies) and I, were privileged to be the first group of quilters to spend time in The Rural Thimble; a retreat center right next door to and owned by Miller’s Dry Goods in Charm, Ohio, in the heart of Amish country.  If you are interested in quilting retreats for your quilting guild or QBs, follow the link to Miller's Dry Goods to find out more information about about rates and availability.  The Rural Thimble retreat house has room for up to 10 quilters with four bedrooms and three bathrooms.  The quilt shop is right next door to the retreat center and I don't want to tell you how many trips next door we made in the two days.  ☺
QB Gang from left to Right
Miss Carol, Glady, Jackie, Michelle, Debbie, Barb

Let the pictures tell the story of our retreat . . . 
Porch off downstairs bedroom which I forgot to get a picture of


Where I spent my first evening after quilting all day . . . 

Living room



Barbie wearing her halo and devilish grin




Pink Room upstairs sleeps three or four







Tables were arranged in a square so we could talk and sew. The lighting was superb!  A true white lighting!

In between quilting and eating, we could relax on the front or back porches and enjoy the view or wave to the Amish as they drove by . . . 


We did manage to get some quilting done - except I had a few issues with my flying geese flying right so switched to an easier tumbler block - then I could talk and sew.  Miss Carol did finish her DillyDally inspired quilt.  
Miss Carol's DillyDally Quilt
Michelle's Chicken Wall Hanging
Here are some of our projects . . . 
Jackie and her quilt for her granddaughter.  Lovely work!


Our projects . . . 


I'm looking forward to many more retreats . . .   Happy Quilting to all!



4 comments:

  1. Darn it Gladys! You beat me to blogging about the retreat! You forgot to mention we got 10% off coupons for the fabric store.
    See you tomorrow for more fun and better flying geese. I think I can make them work!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry, I wanted to get it done while it was still fresh on my mind. We had such an awesome two days! See you tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wowser! Double Wowser! What a wonderful way to dillydally! Am pretty sure my QBees and I should make this trip!

    ReplyDelete