Thursday, September 13, 2012

Double Slice Layer Cake

Double sliced layer cake, not a chocolate layer cake, although it is pink enough to be strawberry flavored.  For my latest quilting project, I decided to try the tutorial from Missouri Star Quilt Company, one of my favorite sites, and make the "Double Slice Layer Cake" pattern with Pink Dazzle fabric from AdornIt.  I picked this fabric line with a young girl/teen in mind.

I don't think that I am always the best judge of what goes together, but how could I go wrong with a matching layer cake?  Hmmmm.  I'm not sure if I like it or not.  It seems awfully busy and polka dotty.  Of course I am still not done moving around the blocks and it will have a border.  That will change it up.  I'll show the finished product later.  Hopefully it will come together and be awesome . . .
I still have some to finish sewing
Isn't he cute?  Do you think it's a Woolly Bear or a carpet sweeper?

To escape the crazy pink quilt, I decided to go out on the porch and sew on some binding.  I'm in the basement all day tied to the computer online, so the porch is my retreat spot.  Well, what do I see?  I think it's a woolly bear caterpillar, but my son says it's just a bug.  Does anybody know?  In Cleveland, we have a Woolly Bear Caterpillar festival where the caterpillar predicts winter based on the stripes.  If this is the real thing, I think this little guy may be predicting snow, snow and more snow.


Then a flock of big black birds stopped by and robbed the bird feeder.  Look at the size of these scavengers.
One good thing going on outside though, my tangled vine of Morning Glories that climbed up to my garage roof "finally" bloomed into one flower.  Maybe more will come out later.

Back to the binding.  I'm turning binding for my "first quilt ever" to be in a show, the Streetsboro Quilt Show.  I'll post more information about that event later.  This quilt was my third I ever made and a BOM Sampler.  A big challenge for my beginner skills.  Three years later, I finally finished the dang thing, I mean the lovely quilt.

I'm not going to post a picture of the quilt now, because I want to take photos of it in the show.  I will show you a tiny sample of what I'm doing though.  Hopefully the judges will have some advice on binding because I know my hand sewing is not the best. That is fine, I'm enjoying the process, as Miss Carol would say.

Thanks for stopping by my blog and I hope you are enjoying the little pleasures in your life today.

"I've learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel." ~ Maya Angelou

1 comment:

  1. Wow...you've been busy! Love the layer cake quilt and I will check out the pattern. Thanks! And I look forward to seeing the quilt you are finishing! Finishing always feels fantastic ...sew... I wish you a wonderful finish and good luck in the show!

    ReplyDelete