Friday, August 29, 2014

A Corny Day

Thursday morning my son Earl brought over a big bag of sweet corn from Wind Swept Farm in Hiram. What a perfect day for freezing corn; a cool northern breeze and no need to run the air conditioner, just open the windows.

I was thinking about what my younger son Adam suggested; that I should jazz up my blog and write about something more exciting.  In our family corn has always played a central role in our lives.  We used to live on a small farm where we grew corn, froze corn, sold corn, and mostly ate corn.   Hmmm . . . well, I was excited to get a big bag of corn, so, this is as exciting as it gets for me. 

At our dinners, we were connoisseurs of all the different tastes and textures of sweet corn.  We had a running conversations on whether the corn was too young, too old, crunchy, chewy, starchy or just right.  I can still picture my kids' faces with a cob of yellow corn as their smiles and butter dripping down to their elbows.  It's safe to say that we were and still are a "corn oriented" family.

Today, during the process of peeling, cutting, cooking and freezing corn; I am reminiscing and remembering my family and all the times we spent together gathered around a big plate of steaming sweet corn.  It is exciting!     
Husking the corn on the porch is the best idea!
Yellow Gold!

A tall enamel pot is perfect to blanch the corn for 6 to 10 minutes depending on the size of the cob - according to the Ball Canning Book.

The hard part is cutting the corn off the cob. 

The satisfying part is seeing the final result!  
12 pints, three quarts and one sticky kitchen.  It was a lovely day.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I wanted to add a picture taken on the Freedom Trail in Kent this week.  My neighbor and I took a walk and discovered lots of wild flowers blooming along the Cuyahoga River.  We also saw a big buck run across the path and jump a fence.  That was exciting!  How fortunate we are to have these hiking trails in our city.

3 comments:

  1. Love your "corny" post! Oh how I miss access to fresh sweet corn! You brought back many memories of my childhood ... helping my grandmother and mother fill our freezer and pantry! Thanks! You'll enjoy the taste of summer during the winter months!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The corn looks delicious! I remember the sticky kitchen!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sweet corn is sooo yummy and what beautiful memories. I have been getting sweet corn and pumpkins from the local markets, nothing better than corn chowder or pumpkin soup.
    Cheers Pauline

    ReplyDelete